The Bookends

The Bookends
Bookends at Bea's

Friday, May 16, 2014

The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford


March 31, 2006

Location: Carmen's home
Members: Virginia, Françoise, Louise, Carmen, Margaret, Louise P., Bea, Marvel, Wilma

This book was received with some mixed reviews. Most people felt that it was an ok read but thought that they would have been happier reading only the first novella. The second one seemed to drag on.

Some comments that were made throughout the evening regarding the book follow:

It was based on a true story and was adapted into a BBC movie/series. The movie/series was great and was very vivid; it brought the three sisters to life.

I found it boring, and the class structure was annoying, it was empty there was nothing happening
1st book wasn’t too bad, the 2nd book was too slow

I didn’t love it, but enjoyed the British pompous life. Reminded me of when I was 18 going to house parties in Britain. It was fluffy but delightful, great portrayal of the life they led at that time. I enjoyed it as a simple, delightful book.

I enjoyed the first book, liked to see the other type of world, how they dressed, how they heated their houses. I didn’t like the 2nd book.

Didn’t hate it; found the paragraphs in French annoying, the ending of the first book was too abrupt. I liked Davey and “The Bolter”.

Some parts I could relate to, other parts more difficult. Some phrases made me ask what they really meant and some phrases made me smile.

It reminded me of the Jalna series, reading about a family and all of their adventures. I enjoyed it and found it quite humourous and entertaining. Some of the characters were hilarious (Cedric for instance!). I learned that if you say the word “Brush” before entering a room you will enter with a wonderful, perfect smile.

I read the second book first and didn’t like it, the first book was a bit better, but it ends too abruptly.
The tone of the second book changed completely, boring every day British life they weren’t fascinating people, they were shallow; written in old English words, many comments regarding Brits vs. Colonists

Showed how every generation had different focuses; I wasn’t excited by it but it was ok.


Respectfully submitted by Marvel on May 1, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment