The Bookends

The Bookends
Bookends at Bea's

Friday, May 16, 2014

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier



March 5, 2004

Location: Bea’s home

Members: Francoise, Louise, Carmen, Marg, Joanne, Bea, Marvel, Wilma, Gisela

Bea served some wonderful “Dutch treat” appetizers and we ordered Chinese food -- which was delicious. It was also a perfect opportunity to celebrate Louise and Carm's birthdays with some sinfully rich chocolate cake.

The discussion of the book was lively and more thought provoking than we had expected. Although the book was well written and very descriptive it was not very action packed. As a matter of fact almost everyone mentioned that they kept waiting for something to happen. But as the discussion went on it became apparent that all of us got quite a bit more from the book then we first realized. We discussed Vermeer and his paintings; also quite a few people had seen the movie and that was discussed as well. Everyone had an opportunity to speak and many opinions were expressed.

Overall I think that the book was well received. It was a pleasant book to read and was a good depiction of what life was like during that time period (mid 1600’s). It showed a definite distinction not only between classes of people but also between Catholics and Protestants. I personally am looking forward to seeing the movie and will now keep my eyes open for paintings by Vermeer.

Endnotes

After the evening I brought the book home and my family all read it. My husband went on the Internet and came up with some interesting facts regarding the book. Did you know that Tracy Chevalier came up with the entire plot in 3 days after looking at a copy of the painting? Here is a quote from her web page on what inspired her to write the book.

" The idea for this novel came easily. I was lying in bed one morning, worrying about what I was going to write next. (Writers are always worrying about that.) A poster of the Vermeer painting Girl With a Pearl Earring hangs in my bedroom, as it has done since I was nineteen and first discovered the painting. I lay there idly contemplating the girl's face, and thought suddenly, "I could write about her." Within three days I had the whole story worked out. It was effortless; I could see it all in her face. Vermeer had done all my work for me.

I have always loved Vermeer's paintings. One of my life goals is to view all thirty-five of them in the flesh. I've seen all but one - Young Girl Reading a Letter, which hangs in Dresden. There is so much mystery in each painting, in the women he depicts, so many stories suggested but not told. I wanted to tell one of them.”

Some reviews from the web site follow:
Chevalier's novel sings with the freshness and the thoroughly intoxicating sense of a specific time, place and personality

Fittingly, Chevalier's writing style adopts a painterly approach: The elegant prose evokes contemplation, the pace is slow and cumulative, the drama emotional rather than visceral."

"... This is a completely absorbing story with enough historical authenticity and artistic intuition to mark Chevalier as a talented newcomer to the literary scene."

Apparently two other books had been written about Vermeer recently: Katharine Weber's THE MUSIC LESSON, and Susan Vreeland's short story, GIRL IN HYACINTH BLUE.

To view the website go to: http://www.tchevalier.com/gwape/paintings/index.html

Respectfully submitted by:  Marvel on March 24, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment